Maintain your craftsman style rug with this comprehensive guide from Modern Bungalow Craftsman Home Store
Maintain Your Wool Rug
Arts and crafts style rugs are a beautiful addition to any home and like any great piece of functional art require basic upkeep to retain their color and feel. A few key points:
Remove and treat spills and stains immediately for best results
Have your carpet professionally cleaned as necessary, no more than once a year
Vacuuming is the most important maintenance step in maintaining your wool carpet. This should be done at least once a week and particularly in heavy traffic areas like walkways and in front of chairs or couches. A regular vacuuming routine will remove dirt particles, soil, and other solids before they have a chance to become embedded. Remember, there is no such thing as too much vacuuming and you should start this routine the day you install the carpet. Vacuuming is a wool carpet’s best friend!
“What type of vacuum should i use to clean a wool carpet?”
The type of vacuum you use will depend on the type of wool carpet. For cut pile carpet an upright or canister type vacuum with a rotating beater/brush is best. For a loop pile Berber carpet a suction-only vacuum is preferable to prevent excess fuzzing.
Wool Carpet Spot Removal
Finding a spot or a small stain on your craftsman Prairie or Mission style rug can be a stressful moment. Luckily, most stains can be dealt with using one of three methods (see chart below). Use a white paper towel or an absorbent cloth to blot up liquids and scoop up solids with the end of a knife or a spoon before treating according to the chart. *Recipe for DIY detergent solution below chart.
Extending the Life of Your Rug
We’ve already mentioned that a regular vacuum routine is your carpet’s best friend. If you truly want to extend your carpet’s life, try these simple steps:
- Exercise preventative maintenance by placing absorbent mats at the most frequently used entrances to your home
- Regularly replace filters in your home’s air conditioning system
- Periodically clean traffic lanes and in front of frequently used chairs with an absorbent powder (Host®, Capture®, and Dri-Matic®)
- Keep a WoolClean Carpet Spot Removal Kit handy for quick response to spills
- When having your wool carpet professionally cleaned, always use a reputable company and check references
Now you have it. Everything you need to know about how to clean your wool rug or carpet and maintain it for a long life. Plenty of vacuuming, quick response to spills, and preventative maintenance will all work together to extend the life of your rugs and carpets and keep them vibrant and soft for many generations.
Having a hard time choosing a rug? Wondering what the colors will look like in your house but afraid to invest in a large rug and have to ship it back?
Try one of ours in your home with no risk!
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: carpet pads, cut pile vs loop pile, detergent solution, how to, rug maintenance, stain treatment chart, vacuum, wool rug spot removal